About MACEDONIA BAPTIST CHURCH
And Its History
The Macedonia Baptist Church of Del Paso Heights continue to celebrate many years of praise, worship, baptism, and community service throughout the Sacramento area. It began when the Lord chose Deacon Robert and Sister Office to be the vessels to use on the first Sunday in July 1950 in their garage at 4580 Austin Street in Sacramento, CA. A group of seven organizers; Robert Office, Odessa Office, Beatrice Office, Queen Nathaniel, Hazel Haywood, Mary Haywood, & Estelle, were led by Rev. C.M. Cummings. New members were immediately united to the Church. These faithful visionaries held services in the garage of Bro. & Sis. Office until 1951.
Two lots were then purchased and a small sanctuary was built. A congregation of nineteen (19) members marched to the new site at 700 Benton Avenue believing the Word of God. "Where two or three are gathered together in My name; there am I in the midst of them." (Matthew 18:20) God blessed Macedonia abundantly and the membership rapidly outgrew the capacity of the building and plans for a new building were soon underway. In 1956, the building was annexed to the original structure. The addition was completed in 1958 with the original building being converted into a social hall, complete with a kitchen. Three additional lots were acquired for parking.
The Church was affiliated with St John Association of Northern California and Progressive District Assoc. of Northern California. The late Rev. Henderson Powell served as Assistant Pastor under Pastor C.M. Cummings for three years before leaving in 1957 when he was called to Pastor the Glen Elder Baptist Church. Rev. Henderson White became the Assistant Pastor until he was called to Pastor the Mt. Olive Baptist Church on May 19, 1950. Soon after, Rev. John W Yarbrough was elected Assistant Pastor. Soon, 100 members were united with the Church of Christian experience under the leadership of C.M. Cummings. 130 candidates were taken in by baptism and 34 were funeralized. In September 1973, Pastor C.M. Cummings resigned to form his own Church. His last sermon at Macedonia was October 14, 1973.
A few weeks later, the Truevine Baptist Church merged with Macedonia. God appointed Edward L. Varnado as Pastor on October 24, 1973. In April 1976, the groundbreaking ceremony of the proposed educational department took place. By 1986, the congregation once again outgrew the sanctuary and plans to re-build began. On May 15, 1988 the present sanctuary was dedicated.
Today, the woman of Macedonia reorganized to combine the Circles and women's ministries for all age groups. The first Director was First Lady Evelyn Varnado. The Women's Ministry has continued to grow and many activities have been added to assist the homeless, convalescence, and the needy persons in the community. Macedonia's present Director is Sister Claire Kinsey. Today, the women's ministry continues to service the surrounding community and have added to their services rendering aid to those in other countries through fundraisers, food, and clothes drives. Also in 2000, Rev. Kevin Brown was added to the staff as Youth Pastor. During his time of service, the weekly Bible Study classes for the youth experienced such rapid
growth that the classes were moved to Thursdays so all of the class rooms could be used. Rev. Timothy E. Harrison was called as the Youth Pastor in 2003 when Rev. Kevin Brown accepted his calling as Pastor at Mt. Sinai Baptist Church. Sis. LaTonya McDaniel (below) headed the Youth Ministry when Rev. Harris was called to be Pastor of New Home Baptist Church in Oroville, CA. The Youth Department is an advocate for feeding the homeless several times throughout the year which is coordinated though the Youth Saturday High School Bible class organized by Sis. W'Juanita Stallworth-Johnson. She recently began an organization in reference to the late Sis. Odessa Office.
Over many years, Pastor Varnado has licensed and ordained several ministers until his retirement in 2019. The first Minister ordained by Pastor Varnado was Minister James Matthew III, (1999) who then became the Minister Tommy Lee Scott was licensed in 1999. Rev. Theil N. Sylve, Rev. Darrell Robbson in 2000 (current Pastor of Greater Hill Zion in Sacramento), Rev. Peter McCallister, Minister Johnny Hughes in 2005 Youth Pastor of Macedonia), and Jamall Callaway in 2006. These Ministers have continued to work in the Vineyard on their own.
The Christian Education Ministry was revitalized by Sis. Evelyn Varnado and began a new series of training classes in January 2006. These classes included In Counseling Training, Teacher Training, New Christian Classes, and New Member Classes. In 2008, Sis Carol Ervin Williams was elected the Dean of Christian Education. Currently Sis. Irma Johnson is the Director of Christian Education.
Macedonia continued her advocates of communication within the Church and the surrounding Sacramento area by starting a newsletter called the MACEDONIA GOSPEL EXPRESS. This was originated and created by the publicity committee and Sis Evelyn Elzie in 2006. Members of the Church contribute informational articles, scriptures, political point of views based on scriptures, medical advice, and the Pastors scriptural outline. Visitors informational packets are provided to guests by the publicity committee. The union of marriage continues to be performed, as well as the celebration of home-going in death, and babies continue to be dedicated.
From 2009-2012 the Church celebrated a total of 38 baptisms, 60 request for membership, 20 members joined by letter of recommendation, and 9 members came for rededication to Christ. With 303 current and active members, the Church continues to hold to Gods faith and love by spreading Gods word. Recognition to the deacons, deaconesses, and ushers are given as a way to show and support that their hard work and dedication has not gone unrecognized. The drama department performs plays and musical presentations during the holidays and other special occasions dear to the Church and her followers. Macedonia continues to evolve with the help of the community and Church members. In early 2012, the expansion of the Church parking lot began along with the installation of video cameras and projectors to allow the congregation to witness baptisms, have a visual of hymns, the Pastors Sermons, and Scriptures.
In spite of the Corona Virus Pandemic that hit the United States in March 2020, along with the national stay-at-home orders, Macedonia was blessed to celebrated 70 years of worship and community services in July 2020, while in search of a new Senior Pastor. Macedonia's may have been closed during that time, but the church and members were still able to be a blessing to the surrounding community with weekly food distribution, hygiene packet distribution, youth recognition and services, and helping the senior members of the church with essential needs.
On February 7, 2021, Macedonia announced that God said it was time and the Church was ready for a new shepherd to lead His flock of sheep, naming Jeffrey Johnson II, coming from Center of Praise Church of Sacramento as Macedonia's new Senior Pastor.